Monday, April 09, 2012

Day One of a Bold New Era!

It begins!!

It's 7:11 am, April 9th, 2012, and I've got a hot cup of green tea and my fur-lined slippers warming my feet. The window shade is open, showing off the typically sunny blue Colorado sky. I find myself staring at the blank white screen that we've all seen in so many movies or TV shows, where the writer sits down to write and then stares at the blinking cursor and thinks, "...So now what?"

This post is the first in a series about my newest graphic novel project. I won't reveal much just yet, but I will say that it's a western, and it's a story that I've been formulating in my head for a couple years now.

For much of the remaining year I'll be plugging away at this project, from writing, to art, to lettering and design and everything else, and documenting the process here. I'll be posting pre-production art as it's completed, and blogging about the experience. The inspired moments and the frustrated ones, triumphs and failures, strikes and gutters. All this, along with thoughts on tools and processes that I stumble upon that will, with any luck, help speed the process along.

It's my hope that this blog will serve as a helpful journal of the process of creating a self-published graphic novel story. Or, at least, keep me on track. The blog is in large part inspired by the efforts of Jason Brubaker and Nate Simpson, both of whom took on the same task with amazing results. The other major inspiration has been my brother Jordan Kotzebue, creator of the excellent webcomic Hominids. He's been motivated and consistent, rocking his book week after week, and it's been nothing short of inspiring. Recently I had the honor to contribute to the comic a bit, providing coloring duties for the last 8 pages. It's been a fun way to get my feet wet again after a long perid of inactivity. Thanks to Jordan for that, and more, which I'll talk about more very soon.

On Thursday comes Part Two!

'Til then- here's a sample page of the coloring I did for Jordan's Hominids book.


15 comments:

  1. Well now, I have to say I am very excited to hear this news my good friend. Here's to you for making the decision, putting yourself out there and going for it! You and your art have always been something of admiration for me and I would be lying if I told you it had nothing to do with me becoming an artist myself;) Thank you for inspiring and motivating me as a kid and thanks again for being a great friend to me as the grown ass man that I am today. I don't know why I felt compelled to rock a heartfelt ballad on your blog, I guess it's because you just gotta tell people how you feel about them sometimes, if you care about em. Love ya brother from another mother. I can't wait to see the fun journey into your creative process you are about to reveal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, thanks for the very kind words! I'm happy to hear that I had a positive influence back in the day. It's been super cool to see you grow over the years into the amazing artist you are today. Thanks again for the heartfelt words... much love right back atcha!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait! I know a bit about the project and have no doubt to it's eminent awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brohirrim! I sure hope it lives up to expectations... I'm already having a blast with the writing process. More on that to come!

      Delete
  3. Kick it, brother!

    =s=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shane! Can't wait to see more of what you're cooking up with Braun...

      Good to see you at ECCC!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! Appreciate it. Hope LA is treating you well homes.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:00 PM

    You da man Trav!

    - Jonesy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian! Man, we gotta catch up soon. Totally anxious to hear more about the exciting things coming up for you guys.

      Delete
  6. Super excited to follow you along this journey - thanks for sharing! And your color work for Hominids has been freaking gorgeous. Great work!

    -Chawasita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks sis! I appreciate that. PS. It was super fun introducing you to "Serenity" last night... You'll be a Browncoat in no time, hehe.

      Delete
    2. PS, what is "Priiti Expressions"?

      Delete
  7. you go girl!! wait, i mean, boy...er...man!

    ReplyDelete