Monday, April 30, 2012

I'm Good Enough... I'm Smart Enough...and Doggone It...

I’m now in Week 4 of the six weeks that I've got scheduled for writing. I wrote last week about how I used the corkboard and post-its to outline the overall 4-volume story. The corkboard method really served its purpose well, and once I was happy with where it’s at, the next step was to open up Google Docs and get started on a much more detailed, scene-by-scene outline for Book 1.

I also mentioned last week a recommendation for writing tactics and inspiration, Stephen King’s book On Writing. While I found much of it to be very helpful in setting a strong mindset for creating, one aspect that I differ with King is that of plotting. King writes about how he hates to plot, hates to know how the book will progress, or even end. He prefers to just stick his characters in a situation and let them “show” him how they deal with it. It's probably a very fun way to write.

I understand how this loose form of writing could be valuable to writers who tend to rely on plotting or outlining too much, and end up with a rigid or lifeless story, but that’s a risk I’ll need to take, because I feel that I NEED to create an outline to properly plot my story. What’s more, it’s turned out to be really helpful to work out the story beats, the flow, the arc, all that good stuff. I guess that’s what it’s intended to do! :)

I found that as I fleshed out the outline, that it really required me to figure out so many little aspects of the story. How can this happen there, if that hasn't happened there, and how will this affect this and that, and wow, I need to write another this so that can take place. It was really illuminating and a lot of fun, and I'm happy to say that the story is really taking shape.


Stephen King also writes in his book how -- and I’m paraphrasing here-- though it’s NOT possible to go from being a bad writer to a good writer, and it’s NOT possible to go from being a good writer to a GREAT writer (the Shakespeares, etc.), it IS possible to go from being an adequate writer to a really good writer. That’s good enough for me to try. I think I’m probably an adequate writer now. But I think, through lots of practice and passion, I could be really good (or at least, the project could be really good). Sounds good to me. OK, maybe I should work on my vocabulary.

I haven't written in ages and have never written a story that will actually be published. I have no idea how it'll turn out, and it's a little dauting, but I'll just have to trust that it'll be good enough to be worth doing. It doesn't have to be “great”, just “kinda good”. Kinda good is enough. It doesn't have to be perfect. Google tells me that it was Voltaire that said “Perfection is the Enemy of the Good.” I’ve recently read a slightly different version, one that said that "Perfection is the enemy of the Possible". So, I'm not focusing on, or striving for, perfection- just “Possible”. Possible = Kinda Good = Good Enough.



4 comments:

  1. As someone who in the past had consistently let "it's not good enough" stand in the way of my own execution - I couldn't agree more. Wallowing around in sketches never taking anything to fruition or worse yet, believing you're not good enough to even start. I love your thought "Perfection is the enemy of the Possible". It's so true! And a great way to overcome the evils of the "not-good-enoughs". Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since my #lfwc Aedre's Firefly started out as a very simple short story, an exercise, an experiment with which I was going to test the waters of webcomicdom that suddenly grew into a huge hulking EPIC of a story I became totally lost a to how it was going ot get from A to B, let alone all the way to Z. After flailing formonths and almost giving up I found a small book called "Save The Cat", which led me on an intriguing journey from "log-line" to *tadah!* the "cork-board", to the finished script.

    Since I began to practise that art (he calls it screenwriting), I have finally been able to relax and actually write the book, and map out the next volume.

    I love your story. And I'm so happy to find others that use a corkboard to plan out their stories. Daniel Lieske of the amazing Wormworld Saga also uses the corkboard (and HOW!) and I also found he uses an awesome freeware ToDo List I've started using now too.

    Thanks for sharing your process with us as well as your long form web comic! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lyla- thanks for the kind words... It's definitely best to do the work and let it be what it is. I'm finding much more happiness in getting work done and out there than having it be "perfect"..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jande- Glad to hear you found a way to the finished script. The corkboard method is indeed a powerful ally!
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Also, I'm a big fan of Lieske's "Wormworld Saga", too.

    ReplyDelete